West Dean unveils summer programme of creative treatsPosted 12 February | Crafts, Member News Tags: West Dean College, West Sussex
Head to West Dean College this summer for a season of creative arts courses designed to help you discover and nurture your talents. Whether your interest is in art, music, gardening, writing or craft, the College’s hands-on approach to learning combined with an idyllic location make West Dean the perfect place for you to spend a day or a week.
There are courses to suit every level and budget – the new evening Art Talks cost just £10, whilst the popular Taster Days cost from £84. If you can’t decide which course to pick the Summer Sampler Weekend could be for you or treat yourself to a whole week on one of West Dean’s bestselling Summer Schools. There is something for everyone and it doesn’t have to break the budget. If you are new to West Dean you will be entitled to 10% off your booking too.
Highlights from the summer programme include:
- A new series of evening art talks by West Dean tutors ‘Imagination, Creation, stimulation – Art Matters’. Talks with Dutch embroiderer Tilleke Schwarz (Maps of Modern Life, 3 July), artist John Meaker (Crossing the bridge from Observation to Abstraction, 25 July), Matthew Collings (Feeling and Emotion in Art: What do they mean? 8 August) and Bob Stone (The figure in Giotto’s Lamentation and Cezanne’s The Bathers, 4 September), and poet Philip Wells (Poetry Performance, The Golden Age, 8 September). £10. Matthew Collings
- A choice of 39 Taster Days running from June to October. New Taster Days: Simple sewn lampshade covers, Jewellery using precious metal clay, Crochet with wire –a necklace with beads and Digital macro photography. From £84.
- Summer Sampler Weekend (15 – 17 June) where you can explore several subjects over a weekend – choose from portrait sculpture, patchwork, making silver jewellery, glass bead making and more. £271 (inc all dinners)
- ‘Back to basics’ drawing courses for all levels including: Drawing for beginners (8 – 10 June and 21 – 23 September), Drawing animals (June 17 – 20), Drawing with pastels (August 31 – September 2) and Drawing the horse (10 – 13 September).
- New Printmaking courses – Working in the landscape (2 – 7 September) and Exploring drawing and mark making through printmaking (7 – 10 September).
- New creative writing courses as well as courses related to the creative use of prose: Freelance writing with freelance journalist and Guardian writer Joanna Moorhead (June 15 – 17), Songs of fire – magical poetry writing (September 7 – 9) with Philip Wells, Dramatic writing with Greg Mosse (October 6), Freelance photography for journalism (June 7 – 10) and Filming techniques and production – an introduction (October 12 -14).
- New one day food courses: Feasting from your allotment (June 9 & Sept 22), Chillies – curries and beyond (August 18), Biscuits for every occasion and every season with BBC Great British Bake Off finalist Miranda Gore Browne (Sept 13) and Getting creative with pumpkins and squashes (October 20). From £78.
- New Gardening lectures and courses: Art and Nature – new directions in planting design (October 20) with Sarah Price and Nigel Dunnett who have collaborated on the 2012 Gardens at the Olympic Park in London, Terrarium Craft (June 17), Mosaics for the garden (June 29 – July 2), and Front gardens – how to make the most of them (September 15).
- Summer Schools (21 – 27 July, 28 July – 3 August, 4 – 10 August) will feature new tutors Jack Doherty (Exploring porcelain – form and surface), Michael Brennand-Wood (Subtraction – Erasure – Conjecture), and Bob Ebendorf (Dancing with jewellery – working with unusual materials), as well as a collaboration between Emma Biggs (Designing and making mosaics) and Matthew Collings (Human to Abstract: Painting feeling and experience).
- New metalworking and jewellery courses include Tin handbags, purses and attaches (15 – 20 July) and Architectural jewellery (21 – 26 October) with new tutor jeweller Vicki Ambery-Smith.
All West Dean courses are taught by practicing professionals, many of whom are world renowned in their field. The workshops and facilities at West Dean are second to none and the stunning house itself and delicious home cooked food will add to your experience. Accommodation is available for those wanting to stay.
Save 5% on all courses booked online.
If you are new to West Dean you are entitled to a 10% discount on the cost of course fees (telephone bookings only).